Monday, June 22, 2009

Isabella


While in Idaho I was talking to a lady in church who was telling me that her daughter was asking for a pink cake for her birthday and she wanted to do something fun but didn't know what to do. By the end of us talking I had come up with making a pink purse cake since there was some mention of purses in the conversation. I was explaining to her how to make it and instead she just asked me if I could do it for her so of course I agreed. It was my first shaped cake so that was pretty exciting. The cake is a chocolate cake with a buttercream filling and a marshmallow fondant. The shoe and details of the purse are made with chocolate marshmallow fondant with some gumpaste added so that they would harden and hold their shape. I learned a lot with this cake as well about the thickness of the fondant when putting it on a shaped cake. It probably wouldn't hurt to add a little gumpaste to all the fondant before putting it on so it doesn't sag. By the time I was able to deliver the cake the buttercream had sagged a little but it actually made it look a little more realistic so it worked and I didn't have to redo it.

No comments: