Saturday, December 12, 2009

A Work in Progress

A leader from one of the youth groups in my church asked me to do a cake for them following their theme of "A work in progress" where they were decorating with construction items. The overall design of the cake was up to me so I thought I would try a few new things. The bottom tier is a fake styrofoam block covered in marshmallow fondant. The caution tape layer is a 12x2" round chocolate cake with a strawberry buttercream filling and covered in regular and black tinted chocolate fondant. The hard hat is a 10X2" round white cake with strawberry buttercream filling and marshmallow fondant on top. To make the hard hat I cut the round in half and put another cake that was baked in a pyrex bowl on top then used half of he round to form a more pronounced brim and the little bulges on the sides. All the piping was done with chocolate buttercream tinted black (don't look to close, it was like 2 in the morning so it doesn't look super great). The tools, ladders, cones, and screws where hand sculpted out of fondant gumpaste.

No comments: