Monday, August 17, 2009

Elliette

Well my baby has turned 1, I can't believe how fast that came. I have had the idea of this cake in my head since before she was born so I was VERY excited to be able to make it. I did want to elaborate and sculpt a giraffe crawling up one side on the block and then and elephant just sitting on the other side out of fondant/gumpaste but I ran out of time. I also had some trouble with the first batch of fondant so don't look too closely, I would have thrown that out and made a new batch if I was getting paid but since I wasn't I just used it so there are some noticeable flaws. I used large marshmallows in the first batch and I don't know if that was my problem or what since I have never used large marshmallows before, so the second batch I went back to using the small ones and it worked. Anyways, the cake is 4 4x4 blocks and then topped with a 6x4 round and then I used the small Wilton stand up bear pan for the top tier. The cake is a yellow cake with a vanilla buttercream frosting as the filling and frosting. I also used a marshmallow fondant over the bottom two tiers. Where the top tier was smaller and just covered in buttercream we used that as the smash cake and it worked out great. It was a lot of fun to finally be able to make this cake and I was a little bummed that I didn't get to make the giraffe and elephant but I think she ended up with plenty of cake for her first birthday and only 6 people eating it.

6 comments:

Southern Belle said...

There is nothing wrong with that BEAUTIFUL CAKE!! I love it. You inspire me. One day, I'll take the next class. That is awesome!

Robin said...

Love it!

Blaire said...

I can't believe this! Way to go!!!

Brittney said...

You are so talented! Wish you were closer and i would have you do all my cakes cause I just don't get it. You are amazing- good job, and I love your design for her cake!

Ryan... said...

so cute and so delicious! I hope you submitted these pics to the online contest!!

Annika said...

Hey Melissa -
It has been forever since I have seen you! I found your blog and am so impressed with your cakes. Kenna was telling me about them and you are amazing! I am wondering what your prices are? I am looking for a cake for my 1 year old's party this month. I might attempt to make one, but I am not really great at all. Maybe you can email me your prices and if you make cakes for others? I would love it! Glad I found you. Your daughter is so darling and I love her name! annikashelley at gmail.com